The parking lot of the downtown United Center was a hub of activity over the noon hour Monday, as all sorts of objects were flying out of the third floor windows.Kevin McManamy of United Real Estate Solutions says it was all in fun as a fundraiser for the United Way of Siouxland:Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/CATCH.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC………coming down. ;06Those items included miniature footballs and beach balls, water balloons and even macaroni and cheese and mustard or chocolate pies.Things got a little messy for Kevin and United Center employees from CMBA Architects, Robert W. Baird & Company and United Realty.Kevin and his wife Kristie co-chair this year’s United Way campaign:Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/CATCH2.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC……..to do a fundraiser. :07Heather Hennings of the United Way says the campaign is steadily working towards its fundraising goal:Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/CATCH3.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC……….raise some money. ;18The businesses also held a chili feed over the noon hour for their employees.
Stand up for real food today, May 17th, as food revolutionaries all around the world take a stand for good food and essential cooking skills.With over 1,000 activities on the map, Jamie Oliver’s 2nd Annual Food Revolution Day will be a fun foodie filled day across the globe.“I’m completely humbled by the amazing amount of support from all over the world this year,” says Jamie Oliver. “Food Revolution Day started last year from a little idea I had to have one day where everyone who cared about real food, home-cooking and better food education could join together, stand united and shout loud.“In 2013, Food Revolution Day has taken a huge step forward. We’ve had support from celebrities, chefs, even a world leader, which is absolutely fantastic, but it’s our hard-working ambassadors and all the incredible people all over the world who contribute to making it super special with the events they run and take part in, no matter how big or small. I can’t wait until tomorrow, and I hope as many people as possible will find a way to join in and take part.”Watch Jamie as he hosts a LIVE Google Hangout from London at 2pm EST/11am PST.With 579 Food Revolution Day Ambassadors in 76 countries and 400 cities, there’s still time to search your local area for activities to join! For example,• The Food Revolution Food Truck will cook for 10,000 Googlers and their families at an open-air celebration at the Shoreline Amphitheatre • Ambassadors in Uruguay will be leading a flash mob in one of the largest street markets in Montevideo, in Malaysia kids will be taking over the Young Chefs Academy and in Czech Republic they will be hosting a dinner in the environmental centre of the city of Prague.In addition to the tremendous number of private and public events, we have been fortunate to have many extraordinary companies and brands support Food Revolution Day in 2013, for example: • All Northern California and Reno Whole Foods Market stores will be building on their Community Giving Day, which raised over $166,000 for the foundation, by hosting events throughout the day. Events vary by store and include healthy cooking classes for kids; how to make yummy salads; chef demonstrations; face painting; live music; vendor fairs and much more. • Fresh Direct is donating a percentage of this week’s sales to the Jamie Oliver Foundation. • In the Los Angeles, Chef Roy Choi ’s Chego, Chef Ricardo Zarate ’s Picca, Mo-Chica, and Paiche will all be featuring a special Food Revolution Day dish. And Chef Ralph Johnson of The Pikey will be hosting a Food Revolution Day fundraiser from 4:30pm – 7:30pm • Pressed Juicery created a special juice kit with portions of the sales going to the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation for the month of May. • Gaming destination Zynga will donate $1 US to the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation for each new authenticated registration on Zynga.com, up to $10,000.Google is hosting over 180 Food Revolution Day events in 53 of their offices in 24 countries across North America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.One-hundred percent of Food Revolution Day funds raised will go to support food education projects for both children and adults through the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation in the USA, a California non-profit; the Better Food Foundation, (registered charity number 1094563) in the United Kingdom; and in Australia, working with The Good Guys and their charitable arm, The Good Foundation, to facilitate and fund the Ministry of Food Australia Project which runs two Centers and two trucks in Queensland and Victoria states.Do you want to get involved in Food Revolution Day on May 17th? Visit www.foodrevolutionday.com to search for activities or host your own last minute party! And share what you’re doing on Food Revolution Day by using #FRD2013 on Twitter and Instagram. Join thousands of supporters on www.facebook.com/FoodRevolutionCommunity and follow the action on Twitter #FoodRevolution.
Twitter LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Six hours east of Toronto and nestled against the St. Lawrence river, is the metropolis of Montréal. The cultural hub is unabashedly unique and exists as Canada’s most populous, French-speaking city. It’s comparatively diverse to Toronto and Vancouver, yet its vibrant music scene is often overlooked. In spite of this, many artists have been working tirelessly on their craft, and putting their city on the map.Superproducers like Kaytranada, Lunice, and High Klassified, have begun to shape the sounds of their city. And rappers like the Dead Obies, Loud Lary Ajust, and Wasiu, are all holding it down as well. Blogs like Montreality have kept it real for ages, and have done amazing work to bring attention to their hometown. Despite the progress made by these proud locals, many are still sleeping on the 514.To help get you acquainted with the city’s dynamic scene, we’ve compiled a list of our favourite artists from Montréal. Get to know their names. Advertisement Login/Register With:
OTTAWA – The federal government unveiled its plan to bolster Canada’s defences against nefarious online attacks and crime Tuesday, even as it acknowledged a shortage of skilled cyber-warriors to meet the country’s needs.Backstopped by more than $500 million in new funding over the next five years, Ottawa’s newly released cybersecurity strategy lays out a range of initiatives to help Canadians, business and the government better protect against cyberthreats.The strategy was the result of nearly two years of consultations with industry, academics and other experts, and updates the first such plan released by the Harper Conservatives in 2010.It comes as the internet and digital technology play an increasingly important role in every aspect of life, making many functions easier and leading to new economic opportunities — but also opening the country and Canadians up to new risks.And those risks appear to be increasing: The RCMP says that police services across the country received 24,000 reports of cybercrimes in 2016, which represented a 58 per cent increase over the previous two years.There are also growing concerns about the threat posed by foreign states, terrorist groups and others who may try to target the country’s electricity grids, banking services, hospitals and election systems.The new cybersecurity strategy does three things, starting with an increased emphasis on detecting, deterring and prosecuting cybercrime, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale told a news conference on Parliament Hill.“We must substantially strengthen Canada’s cybersecurity capabilities to better protect ourselves and our systems against evolving cyberthreats,” he said, “while also enlarging our capacity to combat cybercrime and prosecute offenders.”To that end, the RCMP will add new cyber-investigators and become the main focal point for police across the country to report illegal activity online. It will also liaise with foreign partners to identify potential threats and crack down on criminal networks.The strategy also brings the various cybersecurity efforts underway in different federal departments under a new Canadian Centre for Cyber Security, Goodale said, which will be housed at the Communications Security Establishment and open in the fall.And it will attempt to help the private sector, especially small businesses, which officials say were the victims of 71 per cent of data breaches, better protect themselves, including through a voluntary certification program.“They comprise a huge chunk of the Canadian economy,” Goodale said of small businesses.“And they are as interconnected as the rest of us to their suppliers upstream and to their customers downstream, so if they have a cyber problem, that whole network could be infected.”Yet it wasn’t immediately clear how the government intended to address what will be one of the biggest hurdles to successfully implementing the plan’s ambitious goals: a shortage of cybersecurity specialists, both in Canada and around the world.“A shortage of cybersecurity talent makes it difficult for organization — including the federal government — to attract and retain the people they need to improve their cybersecurity or to disrupt cyberthreats,” the new strategy reads.Goodale described the shortage as “a huge challenge and a huge opportunity,” noting that the cybersecurity industry in Canada already supports an estimated 11,000 jobs and generates $1.6 billion in economic activity — numbers the government hopes to grow.“The world will be demanding people with these talents and skills who understand cybersecurity and can deliver the goods for their employers,” Goodale said, “whether they are in the private sector or the public sector.”But while the most recent federal budget set aside $8 million for up to 1,000 student work placements in cybersecurity, the strategy doesn’t include a dedicated focus on skills training or set aside funding to help grow the industry.“It’s disappointing to see a lack of commitment to build Canada’s cyber sector,” said Benjamin Bergen, executive director of the Council of Canadian Innovators, which represents many of Canada’s tech companies.“Cyber is the fastest growing ICT sector in the world and domestic innovators present an opportunity for our government to grow our economy and deploy world-class technology solutions for protecting Canada’s digital borders.”The plan was also largely silent about foreign-owned telecommunications companies such as Huawei, which intelligence chiefs in the U.S. have identified as a national security risk, and made no mention of encrypting personal communications.The latter has been a contentious issue between privacy advocates and law enforcement, who have argued that such encryption poses a barrier to investigations.Goodale acknowledged the debate, saying that while it is obviously important for online banking and other commercial activities, “there are important questions about law enforcement and national security being able to properly conduct investigations.”– Follow @leeberthiaume on Twitter.
NEW DELHI: Delhi Jal Board (DJB) has urged the Delhi high court here that the Centre be asked to supervise water supply from Haryana to the national Capital, saying any reduction in Wazirabad reservoir water level would hit important areas where residences of President, Prime Minister and judges are located. Citing the coming lean season, the DJB has contended that “an imminent water crisis is likely to hit the New Delhi area in the next few weeks owing to the failure of state of Haryana to supply water as required pursuant to orders of the Supreme Court”. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderThe Board has contended the issue of water supply assumes importance in the 100 days long lean season till the arrival of monsoon and Haryana sought to strictly comply with the Supreme Court’s direction to keep the Wazirabad reservoir full during this period. In its affidavit placed on record before a bench of Chief Justice Rajendra Menon and Justice A J Bhambhani, the DJB has contended that the neighbouring state was “showing reluctance” in supplying the minimum required 120 Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingscusec of water to keep the Wazirabad reservoir full at all times, which amounts to disobedience of judicial orders. “As an interim measure, at least for the coming lean season of about 100 days, central government supervision be requested in the matter,” it has said in the affidavit. The DJB has claimed that Haryana has about 22,000 cusecs of water available to it from all sources, but still it was reluctant to supply the 120 cusecs required to keep the Wazirabad reservoir full at all times during the lean season till the end of June or till monsoon arrives. A cusec is a unit of flow of water equal to one cubic foot per second. The board has claimed that any reduction in the Wazirabad reservoir’s water level would hit the supply to the capital’s most important and sensitive areas where residences of the President,Prime Minister and judges as well as various government departments are located. It has urged the court to ask the central government to intervene and ensure that Haryana keeps up the water supply as ordered by the apex court.
Fez- The Student Ambassadors for Peace club in Fez will organize a musical concert on Saturday, March 15, at 15h.30 in Alif Riad, Batha in Fez, to gather support for Syrian refugees residing in the city. The main objective of the event is to cooperate with Syrian refugees to aid them in affording their basic needs in Fez and coping with the difficult circumstances and trauma of their situation.Tickets are being sold for a symbolic MAD 20. Attendees will enjoy watching a musical group that is in the process of hitting the world stage while simultaneously helping their Syrian brothers and sisters to live and thrive in the city. The event anticipates generating a large audience base, promising to disseminate public awareness of the dire conditions Syrians face in Fez. “Because of the suffering and pain we feel in the eyes of Syrian families who, suddenly, found themselves homeless in Morocco, as result of the political crisis that crippled their home country, every day we see Syrians begging in order to survive,” reads a statement on the Student Ambassadors for Peace club’s Facebook Page. “This why our students at the club Ambassadors for Peace of the city of Fez, with the partnership of the American Language Centre, have decided to organize a party in solidarity with Syrian with the view to raising a sum of money that would allow us to put a smile in their face” it added. © Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed
Senior Vice President and Athletic Director Gene Smith sits down with The Lantern on Jan. 24. Screenshot by Colin Hass-Hill | Assistant Sports DirectorOhio State’s 31-0 loss to Clemson in the Fiesta Bowl came as a shock to many. What happened after the Fiesta Bowl wasn’t surprising to anyone.Ryan Day and Kevin Wilson were hired to co-coordinate the offense while former coordinators Ed Warinner and Tim Beck took on other opportunities. Day will coach the quarterbacks and Wilson will coach tight ends on top of their duties as offensive coordinators. Warinner was named Minnesota’s offensive line coach and Beck will coordinate Texas’ offense.OSU Senior Vice President and Athletic Director Gene Smith told The Lantern in an exclusive interview that those discussions of revamping the coaching staff happened immediately after the game in Glendale, Arizona.Smith said Meyer approached him to talk about staffing after the conclusion of the Fiesta Bowl. Meyer and Smith worked out a schedule over days of meetings, pinpointing selective dates when Meyer wanted to have matters concerning his staff completed.“(Urban Meyer) began to talk about people and who he wanted to get, and so we went through that process and he kind of had a vision of what he thought he needed to do,” Smith said.One of those people was Wilson, whom Meyer has known for a long time. Wilson resigned from his head-coaching position at Indiana University on Dec. 1 during his sixth season with the Hoosiers amid “philosophical differences” with Indiana Athletic Director Fred Glass. Multiple reports cited Wilson’s treatment of players, including one player who told the Indianapolis Star that Wilson forced him back during an injury.Smith said the first thing discussed regarding Wilson was the terms of which he left Indiana.“We talked about that from the beginning before (Meyer) even made the call (to Wilson),” he said.Meyer and Smith discussed, at length, how they would vet Wilson before offering him the position. The two assembled lists of people who could talk about Wilson as a coach and as a person. The first name on Smith’s call list was Glass, who Smith said is a good friend of his.“(Glass and I) kind of went through the details of what happened there and I felt comfortable at the end,” Smith said.“Urban and I came together and we talked about what we found out and we felt comfortable. Kevin sat at this table and we had a good conversation on what happened there, and how it’s going to work here. He was thoroughly vetted and we had a good, candid conversation. He’ll fit our culture fine.”Smith declined to share details on the conversations he had with Glass or Wilson to respect their privacy.Smith said he also reached out to people who were at the University of Oklahoma when Wilson was the Sooners’ offensive coordinator from 2002 to 2010. Smith added that his one-on-one, sit-down conversation with Wilson was “phenomenal” and Meyer’s familiarity with Wilson’s career helped him decide that the former Indiana coach was ethically suited for the job.Regarding the other hired coaches, Smith expressed his excitement for Day and new linebackers coach Bill Davis, who replaced former co-defensive coordinator Luke Fickell.“Ryan Day is, like, off the chain and Kevin Wilson is like a mad scientist. They’re really, really good people and they fit our culture,” Smith said. “We had Bill Davis in mind and he was already here (as a defensive analyst). And so that was a benefit for us.”Editor’s Note: This is Part 1 of The Lantern’s conversation with OSU Senior Vice President and Athletic Director Gene Smith. Part 2 will print in Thursday’s paper.
Tottenham Hotspur have reportedly reignited their interest in signing Brazilian winger, Malcom, according to Sports Mole.The 21-year-old signed for Spanish giants Barcelona, during the summer transfer window but has struggled to break into the first team, and his situation has alerted a lot of clubs across Europe.Tottenham were among a host of clubs in the running to sign the Brazil Under-23s international before he opted to join the Spanish champions in July.Pochettino: ‘Happy’ Christian Eriksen ready for Spurs action Andrew Smyth – September 12, 2019 Mauricio Pochettino insists Christian Eriksen is “happy” and in the right frame of mind for Tottenham despite his failed summer exit.The former Bordeaux man has had limited opportunities under current Barca boss Ernesto Valverde, featuring for a combined 25 minutes in all competitions since arriving.Reports in the Spanish media suggests that Mauricio Pochettino’s side could now make a fresh approach for Malcom, while Italian giants, Inter Milan are also interested.The same report also indicates that Barcelona will only sell the former Malcom if a bid in the region of £50m is made, which is £15m more than they paid to sign him in the summer.