Radio Nova contributor is free

first_img RSF_en Follow the news on Colombia ColombiaAmericas 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies October 21, 2020 Find out more A stringer for the French station Radio Nova, Julien Fouchet, has been released by a paramilitary group that was holding him, a French diplomatic source said in Bogotá on 27 February. French embassy spokesman Frank Técourt said that Fouchet, who disappeared in the Sierra Nevada on 15 January 2004, had been held by a paramilitary group that wanted “to determine exactly what he was doing there”. Fouchet, a student of law in the Colombian capital, was in good health, he added. News May 13, 2021 Find out more ColombiaAmericas News February 28, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Radio Nova contributor is free to go further Organisation Help by sharing this information A stringer for the French station Radio Nova, Julien Fouchet, has been released by a paramilitary group that was holding him, a French diplomatic source said in Bogotá on 27 February. French embassy spokesman Frank Técourt said that Fouchet, who disappeared in the Sierra Nevada on 15 January 2004, had been held by a paramilitary group that wanted “to determine exactly what he was doing there”. Fouchet, a student of law in the Colombian capital, was in good health, he added._____Reporters Without Borders voiced concern today about the fate of Julien Fouchet, 27, a French law student in Bogota and freelance contributor to Radio Nova, whose disappearance in northern Colombia more than a month ago was officially confirmed by the French embassy in Bogota yesterday.The organisation urged the Colombian authorities to do everything possible to find him.There has been no word of Fouchet since he went missing in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta on 15 January. Located near the Caribbean coast 1,000 km north of the capital, this mountain range boasts indigenous archeological sites but is also the refuge of armed groups and drug traffickers.Agence France-Presse said Fouchet wanted to make contact with the guerrillas of the National Liberation Army (ELN) in the Sierra Nevada. About 80 journalists have been kidnapped or detained by Colombia’s two main guerrilla groups, the ELN and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), since 1997. It was the ELN that kidnapped two journalists – one American and one British – in January 2003.Fouchet’s parents have gone to Colombia to seek more information about the circumstances of his disappearance. News RSF, IFEX-ALC and Media Defence, support FLIP and journalist Diana Díaz against state harassment in Colombia Receive email alerts April 27, 2021 Find out more Reports RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin Americalast_img read more

O.C. Police Begin Wearing Protective Masks

first_imgOfficers Jonathan Simonson, left, and Neal Cullen are among the members of the police department now wearing masks during the coronavirus pandemic. (Photo courtesy of Ocean City Police Department) By DONALD WITTKOWSKIOcean City police officers are used to wearing body armor to protect them from gunfire.Now, they have added another type of personal protection equipment – medical-style masks to prevent them and the public from being exposed to the coronavirus.Police Chief Jay Prettyman has issued a new order for officers to wear cloth masks. He did so after reading the most recent update by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and consulting with medical and law enforcement experts across New Jersey and the country.“We see this as an additional layer of protection for the public. We have to approach people, conduct investigations and assist citizens in need. During these times, we want the people we serve to feel comfortable about interacting with our officers,” Prettyman said in a statement posted on the police department’s Facebook page.Officers began wearing masks on Monday, according to Lt. Patrick Randles, who is in charge of the department’s public information.“The officers will wear the masks anytime during their shift when it may be difficult to achieve safe social distancing,” Randles said in an email Tuesday.In March, the police department took additional steps to protect officers from the coronavirus pandemic.At that time, the protocol for handling non-emergency calls was revised. When calls come in from the public, the police communications center will collect the information and work with police supervisors and officers to determine whether an officer’s physical presence is needed to complete a report.Some incidents will be documented over the phone instead of sending an officer to the scene for a non-emergency incident.In another change, visitors to the police station now speak to officers using the internal phone system instead of direct person-to-person contact.“The goal of this temporary procedure is to help cut down on unnecessary contact with individuals as a means of reducing in-person contact and mitigating the risks associated with person-to-person transmission of novel coronavirus,” the department said in a statement.The department stressed that the change in protocol will not impact the dispatching of officers to high priority, emergency incidents.Members of the public needing police assistance should call 911 to report an emergency or (609) 399-9111 for non-emergencies.last_img read more

Editorial: Wisconsin Coal Plant Is Closing for Good Reason

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Wisconsin State Journal:Coal is not coming back. Sorry, Wyoming, West Virginia and other states that mine the fading fuel.Wisconsin, which imports most of its energy, is shutting down another coal plant, with plans to rely on more natural gas and renewable energy instead.Congratulations to We Energies on its smart decision this week to close its Pleasant Prairie plant in Kenosha County. The plant burns about 13,000 tons of coal a day, most of it shipped here from Wyoming. The plant’s buildings and equipment will be removed, according to We Energies, which has pledged to help about 150 employees find jobs elsewhere in the company.The free-market economy favors natural gas, and the cost of renewable energy is falling, especially for solar.Moreover, an increasing number of customers want their power companies to reduce their reliance on fossil fuels, which emit the greenhouse gases that are warming the planet.The State Journal this week reported “wind technician” is the fastest-growing occupation in the United States. Wind generation employs about 102,000 workers, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. An even bigger employer is solar energy, which accounts for about 374,000 jobs.That’s far more than the 86,000 positions attributed to coal generation, or the estimated 74,000 coal miners.The Trump administration is aggressively trying to defy market trends. Energy Secretary and former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, for example, has been pushing for subsidies for coal plants that stockpile supplies as a supposed security measure. Yet despite Perry’s best efforts, three coal-fired plants in Texas recently announced they are shutting down.This is good — not just for the planet and future generations of Americans, but also for utility bills.We Energies told the Racine Journal Times this week that its goal in shuttering its Pleasant Prairie coal plant is to reduce the cost of supplying power as well as cutting carbon-dioxide emissions. We Energies also has plans to develop a large solar energy project in the state by 2020.The future is clean energy — no matter how much the president wants to return to the past.More: Editorial: Coal plants will continue to shut down Editorial: Wisconsin Coal Plant Is Closing for Good Reasonlast_img read more

Mayo boss says he’s never met or spoke to McGuinness

first_imgMayo GAA boss Stephen Rochford has dismissed the suggestion Jim McGuinness was brought in to speak to his side before their All-Ireland final with Dublin last weekend. Former Donegal player Martin Carney revealed on Newstalk that McGuinness had attended a training camp held by Mayo in Limerick.He suggested that he wasn’t there to talk about forward play, and said he felt he was brought in to possibly devise a defensive plan to combat the Dubs. McGuinness is the last manager to earn victory over Dublin, with that famous semi-final win in 2014.However, he refuted the claims when he appeared on Sky Sports as a pundit for the All-Ireland final last Sunday.McGuinness expressed his disappointment that the rumours had been broadcast as fact – pointing out that it was disrespectful to suggest that the Mayo management would call upon an outsider.Rochford said he was completely mystified by the rumour and doesn’t know how the origins of the story began. Rochford told The Irish Times, “The Mayo guys I’m looking to help me are the 33 guys that were available last Sunday.“I don’t know where the Jim McGuinness story came out of. I’ve huge regard for what Jim McGuinness did above in Donegal, but I’ve never spoken to the man or I’ve never met the man. I don’t know where that story came out of at all.“And I suppose why it would or wouldn’t become a concern of mine if it brought a lack of focus or became a distraction to us.“It didn’t. If somebody wants to say the Pope is training us next week, so be it. It isn’t something I’m going to lose any sleep about it and it won’t distract us from what the task is on Saturday week.”Mayo boss says he’s never met or spoke to McGuinness was last modified: September 23rd, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:FalseGAAJim McGuinnessMayonewsRumourSportStehen RochfordStorylast_img read more