WILMINGTON, MA — Below are Wilmington Youth Soccer in-town game summaries from Saturday, May 4, 2019.Boys Grade 2 Games:Columbus Crew vs. Seattle Sounders:The crowd was kept on the edge of their seats this week as the Seattle Sounders, led by the offensive skills of Nate Ricciarelli, Noah Drane, Jacob Andrade-Silva, Tito Acevedo and Evan Acevedo resulted in scoring opportunities by Nate, Jacob and Tito. The defense was not to be left out of this one either as Michael Belanger and Evan Jageler kept the ball out of their zone for much of the game.The air was full of excitement, as the much-anticipated match between Columbus Crew and Seattle Sounders commenced. Fantastic ball skills were displayed by Nate Lawrence and Max Barnett resulting in goals by Cooper Hunt and Michael Duffy. The midfield and defensive play kept the Columbus Crew in excellent shape. The crowd roared to their feet when Austin O’Connell made some spectacular saves.Girls Grade 2 Games:Seattle Reign v. Utah Royals:Top-Notch play kept people watching this one. Excellent offensive plays by Katherine McGrath, Mia Costantino, Jalyn Redmond and Keli Tkachuk applied heavy pressure causing the Utah Royals to back pedal. Defensive positioning by Lucy McDonald, Olivia Howie, Adrianna Corso and Naomi Cowles fended off any threat that came thru making it tough for the Utah Royals. Emma Mahnken, Riley Lopes, Bridget Bloom and Emily Falk also played a great game in net, keeping the game in hand.Sky Blue FC vs. Washington Spirit:The crowd was kept on the edge of their seats this week as the Washington Spirit, led by the offensive skills of Isabella DeOliveira, Pauline Douzepis, and Reighan Glover resulted in scoring opportunities by Melina Meimaris, Bella McCarthy, Julia Marra, and Eliana Goldstein. The defense was not to be left out of this one either as Kate Haggerty, Suki Harper, and Kelsie Morrow kept the ball out of their zone for much of the game.(NOTE: The above game summaries were submitted by Wilmington Youth Soccer.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington Youth Soccer’s Latest In-Town Game SummariesIn “Sports”Wilmington Youth Soccer’s Latest In-Town Game Summaries (May 1)In “Sports”Wilmington Youth Soccer’s Latest In-Town Game Summaries (May 14)In “Sports”
Thirty-seven bodies have been recovered after another boat sinking in the Democratic Republic of Congo, officials said Tuesday, a week after a vessel capsized with nearly 130 people on board.Sixteen survivers were found near the spot where the boat sunk on a river in the country’s east on 9 April, acting governor Papy Omeonga Tchopa of Maniema province told AFP on Tuesday.”We found and buried 37 bodies.”He said the motorised boat capsized near the village of Katalama, 120 kilometers (74 miles) from the provincial capital Kindu on the Kindu-Kibombo-Kasongo part of the river — a stretch that officially is not navigable.Tchopa added that the suspected causes included “a drunk skipper, travelling at night and overloading.””The skipper is on the run. He had already been banned because of previous violations,” said Tchopa.Exactly a week earlier, a boat went down on Lake Kivu with some 130 people on board. Dozens are still officially missing.This incident prompted president Felix Tshisekedi to declare a day of mourning last Friday, and decided to make it mandatory for boat passengers to have lifebuoys.River transport is one of the most used in DR Congo with its numerous waterways. Boat mishaps are common, typically caused by overloading of passengers and cargo.Tolls are often high because there are no life jackets and many Congolese do not know how to swim.Twenty-seven people were reported drowned in a boat sinking in September last year, 26 last July, another 50 last May, and 40 people in April whose boats sank while they fled fighting.Sub-Saharan Africa’s biggest country, the DR Congo is struggling with local conflicts, and in remote areas the control of the central government in Kinshasa is weak.
X Listen Share 00:00 /01:20 To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: US Mexico borderSecuring the Mexican border is supposed to be the federal government’s job. But Texas governors and Republican lawmakers have long complained Washington wasn’t doing enough. To fill the gap, the Legislature approved $800 million last session, for the two-year budget cycle ending in August. DPS was expected to ask for even more this time. Then Donald Trump was elected.“The idea [that] we’re going to put $1 billion into it, all that’s gone. That’s not going to occur,” says State Sen. Paul Bettencourt of West Harris County. Bettencourt is the most recent addition to the Texas Senate Finance Committee.“I think a more realistic approach is look at what the current levels are, take out the one-time expenditures, and then go lobby the Trump Administration to step up to the plate,” Bettencourt says.Texas’ border security surge has been controversial. DPS officers deployed to the Rio Grande Valley aren’t available for highway safety or emergency management in other areas of the state. And the impact of the expenditures is unclear. Even before Trump took office, the federal government spent roughly $19 billion per year on border security, nearly 50 times what Texas is spending now.Still, Bettencourt says the Legislature will wait to see what more Trump will do on border security before they cut their own spending.