Humboldt B52s score six unanswered en route to 6-1 win over the Humboldt Crabs

first_imgArcata >> There were two storms rolling through the Arcata Ball Park on Wednesday nightOne was Mother Nature.The other had to do with the boys from the Eureka side of the U.S. Highway 101 safety corridor.Paced by early offense off the bats of Jeff Giacomini and Kokko Figueiredo and seven quality innings from Ruben Rios Jr., the Humboldt B52s led start to finish in a 6-1 win over the Humboldt Crabs in the first-ever meeting between the two teams. “He was Ruben Rios,” B52s manager …last_img

Rural water scheme wins design accolade

first_img18 February 2014 An innovative municipal water project in Oudtshoorn has been selected as part of World Design Capital 2014, a prestigious designation bestowed on Cape Town by the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design. The Oudtshoorn project is one of 450 selected to be part of the WDC2014 programme. It was chosen via rigorously adjudicated public submission processes that drew 1 253 entries. All projects were selected on the basis of how well they use design as a tool for social, cultural and economic development. The Klein Karoo Rural Water Supply Scheme (KKRWSS) was implemented by the Department of Water Affairs in the early 1990s. It supplies drinking water from groundwater sources to a wide area that stretches from De Rust in the east to Calitzdorp in the west, including the town of Dysselsdorp. The scheme was a brainchild of a “visionary councillor” Issy Baron, who dreamed of turning the arid Klein Karroo into an oasis to ensure water security for all the communities in the region, said Paul Muller, acting director: technical services at Oudtshoorn Municipality. It was transferred to the municipality in 2005. The rural component of the scheme accounts for about 50% of the total supply of drinking water. Its main beneficiaries are farm workers and previously disadvantaged people living in the rural area between De Rust and Calitzdorp. But the present supply from the groundwater source was insufficient to meet demand, so augmentation of the source was urgent, said Muller. A pipeline from the nearby Blossoms groundwater well field will alleviate the shortage. Dr Chris Hartnady of Umvoto Africa, a consultancy that has been working with the municipality, said they would use groundwater from the deep fractured-rock aquifer in the Table Mountain Group (TMG) to augment the Melville and Raubenheimer reservoirs in the foothills of the Swartberg range. It would also augment other groundwater sources, providing additional assurance of supply to communities like Dysseldorp and De Rust. The scheme will manage the combined ground- and surface-water sources to ensure that yield is optimised and losses are minimised. The proposed bulk water scheme will be designed by WorleyParsons, which has been involved with the feasibility studies to date. Partners have included the Department of Environmental Affairs and Development Planning, the Water Research Commission, the Department of Water Affairs, the Development Bank of South Africa, local stakeholders, landowners and farming organisations and drilling specialists. The municipal cost to date has been R24-million and an additional R27-million has been allocated by the Department of Water Affairs. The total cost of the project is estimated at R200-million. Rowena Hay, the MD of Umvoto Africa, said the project area also had potential as a geoheritage site – a tourist destination that would provide local and regional economic benefits throughout the year. This would create more income for the community and help ensure greater buy-in to the project. Source: Umvoto Africalast_img read more

Federer wins record 8th Wimbledon as Cilic bid ends in tears

first_imgEthel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Chot asks fans to give Kobe time: ‘He’s just 19’ MOST READ Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim However, the Swiss superstar’s 11th Wimbledon final, and 29th at the majors, will also be remembered for the moving sight of the popular Cilic breaking down in tears after slipping 3-0 behind in the second set.The seventh seeded Croatian, the 2014 US Open champion, sobbed inconsolably and buried his head in his towel as his title dream slipped away.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsHe had his left foot taped at the end of the second set but it was in vain as Federer became the first player since Bjorn Borg in 1976 to win Wimbledon without dropping a set in the entire tournament.“He’s a hero,” Federer said of his opponent. Federer won his 18th Slam in Australia in January on his return to the tour before adding the Indian Wells and Miami Masters back-to-back and a ninth Halle grasscourt title.He also skipped the entire claycourt season.“I’ve got to take more time off,” joked Federer, playing in just his seventh event of the year.“I’ll be gone again for the next six months! I don’t know if it will work as well again.”Cilic, who had spent four and a half hours more than Federer getting to the final, said retiring with his injury was never an option.“I never give up in a match. I gave it my best — it’s all I can do,” said Cilic who was still emotional at the trophy presentation.“I had an amazing journey here. I played the best tennis of my life. I really want to thank my team — they gave so much strength to me.”Beneath a star-studded Royal Box where Prince William and wife Kate rubbed shoulders with actors Hugh Grant and Bradley Cooper, Cilic had his first break point in the fourth game.It was saved by Federer and it was to be Cilic’s only glimmer of hope.Nasty fall FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress LATEST STORIEScenter_img Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet Switzerland’s Roger Federer kisses the trophy after defeating Croatia’s Marin Cilic to win the Men’s Singles final match on day thirteen at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London Sunday, July 16, 2017. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)Roger Federer won a record eighth Wimbledon title and became the tournament’s oldest champion Sunday with a straight-sets victory over injury-hit Marin Cilic who dramatically broke down in tears midway through the final.Federer claimed his 19th Grand Slam title 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 and at 35 is Wimbledon’s oldest men’s winner of the modern era, succeeding Arthur Ashe, who was almost 32 when he won in 1976.ADVERTISEMENT View comments El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes Federer broke in the next game when his opponent suffered a nasty fall on the worn surface which was to ultimately undermine his challenge.Federer then served up two love service games before claiming the opener 6-3 off a Cilic double fault, the Croatian’s second of the final.The Swiss superstar swept into a 3-0 lead in the second set and at the changeover, Cilic slumped in his courtside chair in tears and in obvious pain.The trainer and doctor were summoned before Cilic hid his head in his towel in a desperate attempt to compose himself.The 28-year-old held serve on the resumption but the lethal barrage continued, Federer stretching his lead over his friend to 4-1.Cilic dropped the set 6-1 and called a medical timeout to have his left foot bandaged and take a painkiller.His discomfort was reflected in his statistics.By the end of the second set, he had served just two aces compared to the 130 he had fired past bamboozled opponents in his previous six rounds.Federer pounced again with a break for 4-3 and wrapped up the one-sided final with a second serve ace to complete his coronation after just 41 minutes.Fittingly, he too wept at the end./rga Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Twelve months ago, Federer was defeated in five sets in the semi-finals by Milos Raonic and promptly shut down his season to rest a knee injury.“It’s disbelief I can achieve such heights. I wasn’t sure I would ever be here in another final after last year,” said Federer, who turns 36 in three weeks’ time and who has now broken the tie for seven Wimbledon titles he shared with Pete Sampras and William Renshaw.“I had some tough ones in the finals, losing two against Novak (Djokovic).“But I always believed. I kept on believing and dreaming I could get back.“Here am I today with the eighth. It’s fantastic, if you keep believing you can go far in your life.”ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

Funeral arrangements for the Late DrBernard Nottage

first_img#MagneticMediaNews#FuneralArrangmentsforDrBernardNottage Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppNassau, The Bahamas, July 10th 2017: Viewing of the Late Dr. the Hon. Bernard J. Nottage will be held at PLP Headquarters on Tuesday, July 11th. In a release, cabinet announced funeral plans for the former minister, with viewing to take place at the National Stadium on Wednesday, July 12th and at the House of Assembly on Thursday, July 13th.An official funeral will take place on Friday, July 14th at St. Agnes Anglican Church, beginning at 11 a.m. Dr Nottage died last week in a Florida hospital after he had been airlifted to the US following three days in the Intensive Care Unit at Doctors Hospital. He was age 71.Dr.Nottage was a trained as a gynecologist at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland, and The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.His political career spanned over three decades, serving as a Cabinet minister in one Pindling administration and two Christie administrations, serving as Minister of National Security between 2012 and 2017. Dr Nottage was defeated in the May 2017 general election by FNM candidate, 22-year-old Travis Robinson in the Bain and Grants Town constituency.He is survived by his wife, Portia and their two sons. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppcenter_img Related Items:last_img read more

Remembering DDay

first_imgRemembering D-Day Posted: June 6, 2019 June 6, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – On the 75th anniversary of the Normandy landings, USN Veteran and USS Midway historian Karl Zingheim discussed the importance of D-Day and what it means to the veteran and military communities of San Diego. KUSI Newsroom, KUSI Newsroom last_img read more

People on the Move

first_img Interiors magazine has appointed Erika Heet its new executive editor. Most recently, she had been the Los Angeles editor of Dwell. Here are the rest of this week’s people on the move: Paul Turcotte has been named publisher and chief revenue officer at TV Guide Magazine and TV Insider.com. He had been CEO at AMPitLIVE. He will cover culture for Daily Intelligencer and Vulture, as well as for the Cut and the print magazine. In particular, he will bring his prismatic lens to New York’s election coverage. InformationWeek, the media brand of business technology professionals, has named Alethea Yip as managing editor and Jessica Davis as senior editor, enterprise apps. Yip has spent nearly 20 years in tech journalism, most recently as the managing editor at Slashdot Media. Davis was previously the editor-in-chief of Penton Media’s MSPmentor and Ziff Davis Enterprise’s Channel Insider. “Rembert is equally at home reporting from the front line in Ferguson, questioning President Obama on Air Force One, or writing a meditation on Nicki Minaj and pubescent boys,” says editor-in-chief Adam Moss. “His voice moves easily from literary to loopy, driven always by his intelligence and unusually wide-ranging curiosity.” Evolve Media has announced the executive appointment of Marisa Costa as vice president of sales, East Coast for TotallyHer Media, the independent lifestyle publisher’s division dedicated to women and their families. Rembert Browne is joining New York Magazine as writer-at-large. Most recently a staff writer at Grantland, where he began working in 2011 and also hosted the “Rembert Explains” podcast, Browne begins his new role November 16. Adriann Ranta has been named agent at Foundry Literary + Media. She had been senior agent and vice president at Wolf Literary Services.last_img read more

In Other News Senate Set to Begin NDAA Debate Air Force Moves

first_img Dan Cohen AUTHOR The Senate is scheduled to begin debating the contents of the fiscal 2019 defense authorization bill this morning after the measure surmounted a procedural vote Monday night. The chamber is expected to take up multiple amendments as part of a manager’s package, reported CQ. A handful of amendments could get votes on the floor this week as well. … Peterson AFB, Colo., will lose 72 military and civilian positions following the Air Force’s decision to transfer cyber responsibilities from its Space Command to Air Combat Command, headquartered at Joint Base Langley-Eustis. Despite the realignment, Colorado Springs stands to gain as the service ramps up its space efforts over the next several years, Jay Lindell, chief advocate for military and aerospace jobs for Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D), told the Gazette. … Military Times has created a searchable database of drinking water systems and monitoring wells located both on- and off-base where elevated levels of the contaminants PFOA and PFOS have been detected. The database relies on data from DOD, which previously reported that drinking water systems at 36 installations tested above EPA guidelines, and 90 installations recorded elevated contaminant levels in the groundwater at either on- or off-base locations. Remedial actions carried out by DOD could take up to a decade or more to complete, Maureen Sullivan, deputy assistant secretary of defense for environment, safety and occupational health, told Military Times.Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Caitlin Russelllast_img read more

Bajaj Finance June quarter net profit up 54 company announces stock split

first_imgBajaj Finance shares rose more than 11 percent on the stock exchanges on Tuesday after the company announced 1:1 bonus issue, stock split and upbeat results for first quarter ended June 2016. The current face value of the share is Rs.10 eachThe shares gained 11.27 percent to hit an intraday high of Rs. 9,990 apiece and were trading at Rs. 9,810 apiece at around 2.10 p.m. on the BSE.   Shares of Bajaj Finance will be split into shares with face value of Rs. 2 each. Both the bonus issue and the split will be subject to shareholders’ approval.On Tuesday, the company also announced its June quarter results. Net profit rose 54 percent to Rs. 424 crore from Rs. 276 crore in the corresponding quarter last year.Canara Bank shares rose 5 percent in intraday trading on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) on Tuesday despite declaring downbeat results for the first quarter ended June 2016.The state-run lender’s shares were trading at Rs. 262.65 apiece on the BSE at around 11.45 a.m., up 3.53 percent from their previous close after rising to the day’s high of Rs. 266.40.The Bengaluru-based bank’s net profit plunged 52 percent to Rs. 229 crore as against Rs. 478 crore in the corresponding quarter last year.Net interest income saw a fall of 8 percent to Rs. 2,307 crore on a year-on-year (YoY) basis from Rs. 2,516 crore.Net non-performing assets (NPAs) as a percentage of total loans stood at 6.69 percent as of June 30, 2016, up sharply from 2.74 percent, YoY.Other bank shares that were trading with gains included Bank of India, Yes Bank and Punjab National Bank.The Sensex was trading about 20 points higher at 28,115, with Axis Bank, Tata Steel and Wipro leading the modest rally. The markets are in a cautious mood after having gained 292 points on Monday on hopes of the Modi government seen as making forward movement with the Goods and Services (GST) Bill, which is pending for clearance in the Rajya Sabha. An empowered committee of state finance ministers is expected to discuss some of the contentious aspects of the legislation on Tuesday in the presence of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian.Story updated with additional details at 2.20 p.m.last_img read more